Om, also written as Aum is a mystical and sacred syllable that originated from the Hinduism. It is said that when this sound is diversified, it forms all the word used in language. If you enrolled yourself in the yoga classes, Om is often the first and last sound in your ears in a yoga class. But what does it mean?
What is the meaning of OM?
They say that before the world began, Brahma- the creator, the absolute reality was one and he said, “I am one, but may I became many?” This persuasion gave birth to OM – vibration that stables into a sound.
As we said earlier the word is also written and pronounced as AUM, each of three letters and sounds corresponds to a different aspect of the divine. The first sound “A” invokes Brahma, the creative aspect. The sound “U” invokes Vishnu, the preserver. And the “M” sound invokes Shiva represents the destructive aspect of God. So the three sounds in one single syllable remind us of these three aspects of Divine, without which nothing exists. When you chant AUM, the vibration from that sound relates to the original vibrations that were sounded in the universe when the world was created.
The sound OM or AUM is often called Pranava, or that which runs through breath (Prana) and sustains life.
The Anatomy of the Symbol OM
Here we discuss the anatomy of the symbol Om. It represents the three states of consciousness.
- The waking state
U- The dream state
M- The state of deep sleep
Generally, when somebody is chanted the OM, there is a silence between two Oms. This silence represents the fourth state that is Turiya, which is known to be a state of the bliss. In this state, the person identifies himself with the Supreme.
How to Chant AUM
- Find a tranquil place. Sit comfortably. The best position to practice this is to sit with your legs crossed and back should be straight.
- It is imperative to sit in a most comfortable position, so it is advised to wear loose clothes in light colors. You need to let all the channels in your body free.
- Join your right or left palm with each other, both facing upward and next to your navel.
- Now, close your eyes and relax. It is important that in this time your body and mind should remain calm.
- Take account of all the vibrations that happen in each parts of the body.
- Once you are aware of every sound in your body, breathe in, and count up to five. Then breathe out on the counting of seven. With time try to increase the number. Do this thrice.
- Exhale and relax for few seconds.
- Breathe in deeply and slowly again. As you exhale, chant OM. Remember that 80 percent of your chant should be AU and 20 percent should be M.
- Chant AUM thrice and then slowly increase the timing up to nine. Once you finish you’re your meditation, try to breathe normally as you focus on it for about five minutes.
Health Benefits of Chanting OM
- It helps to improve concentration power
- Chanting OM is a great detox for your body.
- It helps in to reduce insomnia.
- Helps you getting rid of negativity.
- It helps to reduce stress and sets your mood right
- Your heart and digestive system are looked after
- Your spinal is strengthened.
- You get a control on your feelings.
OM is the seed of all mantras. Om is livening up in each chakra, it is short and it vibrates through the body. It is a powerful sound that is meant to instill humility, peace, well-being, and happiness. It is meant to touch the lives if every human being’s heart. Invite this beautiful sound of creation in your life today!