To whoever’s been fighting diabetes for enough time it will be clear that artificially injecting insulin is hardly a cure, it’s only life support and there are ample cases today of utter insulin-resistance. But then again, didn’t the doctor say it right at the beginning that diabetes can be incurable?
On the other hand, Ayurvedism says no! Madhumeha (diabetes) follows the causation of a dosha-vitiating lifestyle and it can be cured just as all other dosha vitiating disorders are treated: by regulating food type, ample exercise, and lifestyle modifications to adjust the biological humors or doshas in the body.
Whether you are diagnosed to be pre-diabetic or already in the throes of the chronic disorder, Ayurveda suggests a host of dietary and lifestyle tips to reverse the syndrome. Here is how—
Think Holistically and Long-term
Ayurveda looks at the increasing incidence of diabetes as a result of a complacent, sedentary lifestyle and lack of consciousness regarding the essentiality of physical activity and balanced diet. In the approach of healing, Ayurveda takes into account—
- slow and sustained cutback on calorie intake,
- reduced consumption of saturated fat
- amping up physical activity
- mental exercise or meditation to advance awareness
Also Read: Best Ayurvedic Tips for Weight Loss
This is a 360-degree model of changing one’s daily habits, placing holistic wellness before the narrow definitions of health and adopting a more active and conscious life. You would need some solid will and consistency on this pursuit in which transformation happens at the roots, but may take time. So, do brace up for the same.
Yoga to Develop Insulin-Sensitivity and Glucose Absorption
A research by Winona State University, Department of Biology, on whether yoga breathing exercises can improve insulin sensitivity and glycemic response shows positive results when conducted upon type-2 diabetes patients.
The three prominent themes of yoga, namely asana or postural machinations, dhyana or the meditative part, and pranayama or attention to breath are shown to have modified breathing patterns, altered the experience of negative situations and improved cognitive functions leading to stress reduction, and brought about other physiological changes that help more effective inner body function.
The anomaly of glycemic control resulting from the inability of insulin secretion in Type 1 diabetes or resistance to secreted insulin in Type 2 diabetes happens in many cases from the frigid cognitive response as a result of physiological stress. A continued practice of yoga will help you correct these functional anomalies from the roots.
Herbal Mixtures to Reduce Insulin-Resistance
Alongside yoga, you must also include herbal catalysts in your diet to improve insulin-response of your body. Here go a few simple recipes of Ayurvedic potions for the purpose—
- Two tsp of Cinnamon powder mixed in warm water. Cinnamon is well known for its abilities to lower blood sugar. Plus, it is a good source of antioxidant and works well as a savory spice. You can also sprinkle some over your oatmeal and coffee.
- Add Flaxseed paste to your smoothies or sprinkle a handful on your favorite salad. In addition to medical benefits, it will also give off a delicious nutty flavour.
- Use fish oil rich in omega fatty acids for body fat reduction and improved insulin sensitivity.
- Mango tree leaves, a lesser known diabetes regulator, can be boiled in water to make a consumable decoction. It is known to stimulate hypoglycemic activity.
About Time You Quit Smoking!
Throw that smoke right away!
Smoking triggers Type 2 and makes the already persistent diabetics go through hell with related complications of kidney, heart, nervous damage, vision impairment, and circulation blockages.
Red Mark These Foods
When you are a diabetic, you need to think twice about some foods—
- Dry Fruits- Because of concentrated sugar in the dehydrated content
- Flour, Rice, Bread- Complex carbohydrates change into insoluble glucose when taken in excess. Whole grain flour is a good alternative.
- Red Meat- Because of saturated fats and high cholesterol
- Deep Fried Foods- Because of soaring calorie count
- Alcohol- Got to limit consumption for its likely to impede your blood-sugar level reduction
- Flavored Waters, Syrupy Drinks, Blended Coffees, Banana, Melons, and Peaches- Because, sugar check!
You may not love them for their taste but you would love them for their effect!
- Bitter Gourd
- Fenugreek Seeds for spice
- Ginger and Garlic
Treat Fluid Retention or Edema
Edema characterized by abnormal water retention in the body leading to swelling of different parts is ancillary to diabetes. Damaged capillaries resulting in the leakage of fluids is its main cause. You do the following to bring this in order—
- Lifting your feet on a pillow, rising above heart-level and keeping that way for 10-15 minutes
- Practice the yoga postures for good circulation like— Downward Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana), Camel (Ustrasana), Triangle (Trikonasana)
- Get Ayurvedic Abhyanga Massage with Chinchadi Tailam
Diet Rules for the Diabetic
- Never let yourself skip meals but keep strict meal times instead.
- Stay sufficiently hydrated with coconut water, ginger-lemon-honey water, and hot soup.
- Avoid dairy on a regular basis.
Make Certain Lifestyle Changes Happen
With the wakeup call for your personal battle against diabetes, some lifestyle changes become invariable. Either in pre-diabetic or the chronic stages, you can always do yourself some good with at least 30 minutes brisk walk a day, cardio and resistance exercise, saying no to late nights, and unwholesome food and drinks.
Equip Your Kit with these Ayurvedic Meds
Stock up your kit with Ayurvedic off-the-counter-drugs for diabetes like Salacia capsules and Gluco Balance.
Don’t forget to consult your doctor!