As per Ayurvedic philosophy obesity also known as atisthula or medoroga is one of the eight “nindya prakruties”(undesirable constitution). In obesity, medas or fat are over-accumulated in the body while other dhatus or tissues are malnourished. As per Ayurveda in obesity Agni is built up which results in an excessive intake of food, hampered conversion of Medo Dhatu to Asthi Dhatu, Imbalance of Vata dosh and increase of Kapha Dosha.
Ayurvedic treatment involves the combination of ayurvedic medicines, Panchakarma, Yoga asanas, herbs, home remedies and lifestyle adjustments and keeping the balance between Kapha and Vata dosh.
Ayurvedic diet creates the balance between Vata and Kapha. The diet includes fresh vegetables and fruits including a cup of water mixed with honey every morning and daily consumption of barley which helps to take care of digestion. Avoid food which is difficult to digest.
In Panchkarma treatment Decoction enema with strong herbs is prescribed. The Decoction enema known as Kashaya basti helps in balancing Vat and is also useful in correcting fat tissue conversion to bone tissue (medo dhatu-asthi dhatu).
Dry Powder massage also known as Rooksha Udvartana is also best. It is massage which is done with herbs. It consists of ingredients like horse gram, jujube, Black gram, Devadaru, Rasna etc. The powder massage helps in burning the fat which is deposited below the skin particularly towards tummy, thighs and buttock areas.
You can have buttermilk fermented with spices which burns the fat or can have the juice of Agnimantha (Clerodendrum phlomidis Lin and hot gruel of rice.
Suggested herbs are
- Loha Bhasma with honey and powder of Yava – barley and Amla.
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes Burm f.)
- Nagara (ginger),
- Yavaksara (Kshara prepared from Barley),
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus),
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia belerica Roxb.)
- Guduchi (Tinspora cordifolia) Guduchi is best to burn fat and in correcting the fat – bone tissue transition.
Some of the prescribed Ayurvedic medicines are:
- Triphala churna
- Mandoor bhasm
- Swarn makshik bhasm
- Medohar guggul
- Triushanaadi loha
Getting oil message is a best therapeutic method as oil is a nourishing agent, but it itself does not ensure the reduction in weight, so herbal massage powder Udvartana and Kola Kulathadi Churna are highly recommended. The regular massage strengthens the bones, muscles, and joints, which drives the person for exercising. Also, the fat deposits in abdomen buttocks and other areas get mobilized, which helps in quickening the fat loss. Oil massage also mobilizes the morbid matter from the different parts of the body to gastrointestinal track, which is then discharged by Vamana Panchakarma (vomiting therapy) or Virechana –purgation treatment.
Besides the suggested treatments above, it is very important to adopt the healthy lifestyle and to follow some simple rules in your daily routine. These rules are:
- Daily exercise for half an hour that include yoga or meditation, walking, jogging, cycling etc.
- Drink at least half glass of water before eating food, it would no doubt lessen the appetite but it helps in digestion and clean the stomach. Remember to drink only half a glass of water before having your food.
- Eat very slowly as it reduces hunger pangs and keeps the stomach light.
- Eat Barle. You can prepare chapattis of Barley instead of wheat. Though the taste of both the wheat and Barley is same, Barley is best to lose weight quickly.
- Reduce the consumption of sweets and sweet drinks. Also reduce the intake of Tea, Coffee.
- Drink buttermilk instead of curd.
- Eat fruits like Grapes, Apple, and Banana but in limited quantity
- Avoid oily stuff including junk foods.
- Drink honey or lemon juice in empty stomach.
Ayurveda is no doubt our ancestors’ wonderful gift for us which we all must adopt in our daily life. It is a most natural way to get the desired healthy and slim body.